Wednesday, July 8, 2009

When it rains...

I guess at this point I need to be very thankful that our walkthrough for the new house was yesterday. It went really well and there are very few things to be fixed. We are hoping to be able to sign and close next week -- we're just waiting on the appraisal at this point.

Today...started out ok. I didn't really want to get out of bed, but that's not unusual. I did notice as I was getting into the shower, though, that my neck was very stiff--must've slept on it wrong. Ok. I will try not to need to turn my head today. The rest of the getting ready process goes smoothly, babysitter arrives on time, and I go to work (I'm teaching summer school). Except for a very slow computer intially, the morning goes well. Lunchtime comes...I get my bagel, go back to school and get a call from the babysitter, who has locked herself (and the girls) out of the house. So I run home to let them back in. Not a big deal.

Now, before lunch I was using our department's card reader. When I left, I did think to stick it in my desk drawer so that it didn't walk off. It was there when I got back and I distinctly remember putting it back on my desk so that I would remember to put it back in it's correct spot. And that would be the last time I saw it. That's right folks--stolen. GRRRRRR mad! I left the room one time to go into our storage room and was gone for maybe a minute (for once I knew exactly where the stuff I wanted was).

This part of my day evolves into a long story that involves stolen card readers, pot pipes, and the police department, but we don't need to get into all those details. However, I never did get my card reader back. I am not naive enough to think that a student has never once, in 8 years, stolen something from my room. BUT, I have 1) never had anything of substance taken (that I'm aware of) and 2) can't believe someone would have the sack to snatch something that quickly. SO PISSED!

Fast forwarding...after school I let the girls swim. Amazingly, there were no catastrophes. We then went shopping at Staples so that I could get some summer school supplies (and a new card reader). Shopping with my girls can sometimes be annoying, especially in situations like this when I need to concetrate so I get the right stuff. But it was ok. Afterward we went to the local noodle joint. 1st bowl of spaghetti=hair. 2nd bowl of spaghetti=that's right, more hair. 3rd bowl of spaghetti=we didn't get spaghetti that time, I ordered something new. And got a refund.

At this point I'm thinking I could use a little DQ. We drive through, the girls get cones and I got a blizzard. This is pathetic, but I usually eat them while driving home -- no, I can't wait, and yes, I drive with my knee. Never has been a problem. Until this evening. When I managed to spill a freakish amount on my steering wheel and in my lap.

We have been home for about a 1/2 hour and, so far, all is well. I think maybe we should just go to bed!

5 comments:

Kami said...

ha, ha. bad day huh! did I tell you a kids stole an ipod during my session. rotten kids!

Desiree said...

I know it...I sent you a message on FB w/more details. I might have to quit teaching summer school if the kids aren't going to be nice.

Anonymous said...

wow !!! that's all I can say..
The Mom

Jen Burns said...

I like the new background.... Things will be nice once you are settled in the new house...

Brandie said...

I just have to laugh about the 'babysitting locking themselves and the girls out of the house' I totally did that too :) Sorry for such a rotten day!