Saturday, July 4, 2009

Amtrak turned into U-Haul

It has become apparent to me that my girls are just a little too young to ride the train to MT overnight. UGH. I don't think that Olivia slept more than 2 hours...which meant that I did not sleep more than two hours. Given that the train takes 10 hours and the car would've only taken 7ish, it REALLY sucked. Really.

When we finally arrived in Whitefish, I was so done. So were the girls. Luckily my dad and Barb were there to meet us and we went to my grandparents' house for breakfast.

My grandparents are getting older and are beginning to give some of their things away. Grandma says to me, "I want you to take some of this stuff home with you." Now, that is not an easy task when one is riding a train. HOWEVER, one could also cancel one's train tickets, get a refund, and rent a U-Haul truck, thus accomplishing multiple goals: 1) Help grandma eliminate stuff, 2) become the receiver of some beautiful furniture, artwork, and china that I've loved my entire life and am so honored that my grandmother wants me to have it, 3) avoid another horrid train ride going home!

So, we rented a U-Haul, loaded that baby up on Friday, and left this morning just after 10 AM. We were home before 5 to enjoy the rest of the blazing hot afternoon--visited with Andre, the girls swam, ate dinner, and are asleep as I type this. Good times, I tell you!

1 comment:

Brandie said...

Wow! Way to turn a not so great situation in to a great one! Go Des! And I can't wait to see all your treasures in that beautiful new house of yours :)