Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pickled Asparagus

Andre and Olivia love pickled asparagus. Victoria and I, not so much. I am willing to sacrifice an afternoon, though, and can pickled asparagus for the 1/2 of the family that enjoys it.

That's only part of the reason I do it, actually. The other part is that I get a super-nerdy satisfaction out of producing these babies:

I put up pickled asparagus last summer, but did not make as much (this time, I made 23 jars) and it cost me way more because I bought it out of season. We are in asapargus season right now and were able to score 25 glorious pounds for under $25...it was only $.99/lb. Love me a good deal.

My recipe this year, which is a modified version of the one in the Ball Book of Canning. I am trying to get them to be spicier this year.

In each jar:
1 T Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 T Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1 Whole Clove Garlic
1/2 Whole Jalapeno Pepper

I followed the rest of the Ball recipe and now we're just waiting to see how they turn out. I want them to sit for at least a couple of weeks so the flavors can blend. I'll have to take Olivia and Andre's word on how they taste, because I personally find asparagus to be disgusting.

No comments: