So the other day I decided that I should work in a little mini-vaca with the girls while Andre is working a crappy shift the next few weeks. I thought maybe we could go to MT to visit the "Mema & Papa." They would love to see the girls -- whether I go or not is, I am sure, irrelevant...my friends with children understand this.
Anyway, then I started considering the fact that it is an 8 hour drive...and the girls have been monsters in the car lately. We'll be in the car 10 minutes and they already want to know when we are going to be there. Maybe we should NOT go to MT.
Then, brilliance struck me. The train! I rode the train to visit my dad a couple of times and it was perfect. You leave at night, sleep, and then BAM, you're there! I got online right away to visit the trusty Amtrak site and, lo-and-behold, fares for the Empire Builder (that's the train that runs through our area) are on sale! I got round trip tickets for me and the girls for only $189 -- that's only about $50 more than I would have to pay in gas, probably, and oh, the convenience!
The girls are, of course, super excited about a) getting to ride the train and b) getting to sleep on the train (we had a LONG talk about this one...can you imagine being the people around us trying to sleep and my two "angels" throwing a big fit). Anyway, it could work out beautifully. I will be sure to let you all know how it turns out!
3 comments:
We are going in August, too bad you can't wait till then. It will be nice to get away though I'm sure. When are you leaving? I don't know why I ask b/c you never respond to these comments. I must say I always had a lot of "fun" on the train, but none of that was spent sleeping. Times have sure changed, I really dig a good nap.
We are leaving on the 29th; back the morning of July 4th. We might still go in August, but that's also right when will be getting into our new house and we are going to a wedding. I always slept on the train, even when I was younger :-) I am sure I will not sleep very well this time, though, b/c the girls will have to sit across the aisle from me...makes me uncomfortable.
FUN! And pretty sure I wouldn't sleep a wink unless I was holding onto my baby :P Apparently its like bus seating? I've never rode a train, but I bet it would be an adventure!
Post a Comment